Image by looseends via Flickr
• Clean All Feeders and Baths- Make sure everything is sparkly clean and ready for migrating birds. Use a 1 to 9 diluted solution of vinegar to water to disinfect feeders or use the enzyme cleaner Scoot available at Wild Birds Unlimited.
• Keep Feeders Full of Fresh Seed- When wet weather approaches make sure you have Feeder Fresh on hand to add to your seed to prevent mold.
• Add Window Alerts- Lots of new birds unfamiliar with the area are going to be passing through soon. Put up window alerts to prevent window strikes.
• Keep Rehabilitators Numbers' Handy- Go to “What do I do with an injured bird?” for local information.
• Clean bird feeding area- After snow melts, rake area under feeder or throw down fresh mulch
Start Collecting Nesting Material from the Cats- Clean pet hair or cotton yarn cut no longer than 3 inches can be stuffed into an old mesh onion sack or an unused suet cage and hung from trees and bushes for birds to use in nest building. Wild Birds Unlimited also sells natural cotton balls and Birdie Bells full of feathers, straw, and cotton.