• Squirrels have 5 toes on their back feet and 4 toes on their front. Their front toes are very sharp and help in gripping tree bark for climbing. Their back foot toes allow them to hang upside down and leave their front paws free reach for food.
• They have two incisors on the top and two on the bottom jaw that will grow continuously, but stay short due to the constant wear they receive.
• Squirrels can smell food from great distances. This helps them find the food they hoard.
• Squirrels eyes are positioned in such a way that they can see some things behind them.
• In addition to residing in the Eastern US, Eastern Gray Squirrels have been transplanted to many Western states, Great Britain, Ireland and South Africa and come in a variety of colors.
• Squirrels can eat their own body weight (approximately 1.5 pounds) every week.
• Squirrels have been known to fall from 100 feet without hurting themselves.
• The name Squirrel comes from the Ancient Greek word σκίουρος, skiouros, which means, shadow-tailed. This is probably because the squirrels use their bushy tails to shade themselves.
Wild Birds Unlimited - East Lansing is the squirrel proof feeders. We can also help you create a squirrel proof set up with baffles or choose a seed to deter squirrels.
For some people, feeding squirrels is actually fun or provides a distraction to deter squirrels from bothering their bird feeders. Wild Birds Unlimited - East Lansing has several feeders and food for squirrels.
It is recommended that people who feed the squirrels place food away from window sills or door steps so as to discourage squirrels coming through screens. Feeding stations for squirrels should also be placed away from the regular bird feeding stations. There are many good feeders for feeding squirrels and some birds attracted to nuts and corn may also visit these feeders.
Squirrels live in many backyards. Placing squirrel houses in urban areas can help reduce the possibility of squirrels nesting in unwanted locations. Squirrel houses should be placed away from human dwellings at least 15’above the ground. They should face south and away from prevailing winds. Boxes can be cleaned in mid to late summer if there are no babies present.
If you or anyone you know is trapping and moving squirrels, please let them know that it is illegal to move wildlife in Michigan without a permit. And you may be doing more harm than good. Squirrels live in territories and every time one is removed, another will take its place. Moving squirrels that are pregnant or that have babies waiting for their mother could result in death. However, if you leave the squirrels that you have, alone they will keep other squirrels away. Wild Birds Unlimited - East Lansing can show you how to squirrel proof your bird feeding station so that you and the squirrels, can live in harmony.
- How do I keep squirrels off my bird feeders? http://bit.ly/yiZsML
- Squirrel proof bird feeder reviews http://bit.ly/waJs9o
- Why are Squirrels Called Squirrels? http://bit.ly/yhktkr
- How many species of squirrels are in Michigan? http://bit.ly/yYt6Nb
- Black Squirrel History & Facts http://bit.ly/AxiqPz
- "Frisky" Fox Squirrels http://bit.ly/AndeTw
- Why squirrels chew http://bit.ly/AjVzFW