Is too late to put up a hummingbird feeder? ~ LansingWhile the Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds can arrive in Michigan as early as April and settle in to territories in the spring, they are always looking for food sources. Curious hummingbirds will come to investigate a feeder no matter what part of the season it is hung.
In late June newly fledged hummers appear and have to check out everything to see if it's food and you may catch them with your feeders.
Then starting in the middle of July males begin to wander widely, and some are already heading south. Before you know it you'll have hungry southbound migrants to feed!
Migration continues through the middle of October and there are plenty of opportunities to see hummers feeding. The migration south is a more leisurely trip than the race north. So you may see these new hummers at your feeder for a couple weeks before they catch a good wind to move further south.
- Hummingbird in the Snow http://bit.ly/L4yBWm
- Don't take your feeders down on Labor Day http://bit.ly/vawleL
- Do hummingbirds migrate together? http://bit.ly/rVOJVm
- The Best Hummingbird Feeders http://bit.ly/L4yY3i
- Why the color on a hummingbirds’ throat flashes http://bit.ly/JZ31qX
- When did people start to feed hummingbirds?: http://bit.ly/o8Y8HR