|Photo taken in front of the East Lansing Wild Birds Unlimited store|
Katydids are distinguished from grasshoppers by their long antennae, which may exceed their own body length, while grasshoppers' antennae are always relatively short and thickened.
There are more than 6,400 species of katydids in the family Tettigoniidae but only about 255 species in North America. They are also known as bush-crickets and long-horned grasshoppers, although they are more closely related to crickets than to grasshoppers.
The flower is a Campanula persicifolia or Peach-leaved Bellflower in the plant species of the genus Campanula. Its flowers are cup-shaped and can be either lilac-blue or white and will flower normally in June and July.
3. Insects of the North Woods by Jeffrey Hahn
- Tiger moths: What is that white moth with black spots?: http://bit.ly/rtneuz
- A Very Tiny Hummingbird (Moth)?: http://bit.ly/qtrAaV
- Why did I take a picture of bird poop?: http://bit.ly/o9APHb
- Where does the Woolly Bear go in the winter?: http://bit.ly/pB5L4V
- Brown bark-colored moth with orange stripes on body http://bit.ly/Lcp0eb