How can small birds fly in strong winds?
These are the days your feeders may be empty for long periods of time and then covered in birds when there is a little break in the weather.
Birds are going to stick close to home in bad weather but when they finally have to venture out for food, you will see a lot of gliding. They don’t want to fly too fast with the wind or waste energy going against the wind. They sort of get where they’re going by riding the winds and then making a couple flaps for course correction. It's not easy.
Thanks for the really good question!
- Can birds predict the weather? http://bit.ly/w3bhs8
- Weather is everywhere. http://bit.ly/ybOkpT
- Where birds go when it storms http://bit.ly/xpvtC0
- How can birds survive this cold weather? http://bit.ly/xbkaPP
- How can birds fly in the rain? http://goo.gl/EkW48