Almost every person that came in to the Wild Birds Unlimited - East Lansing store today reported a "feeding frenzy" at the bird feeders. Many said they feed year round and others started to feed earlier this year on my recommendation. The reward was a lot of birds including several cardinal pairs that decided their yard was going to be the territory headquarters.
I have a lot of finches, woodpeckers, nuthatches, chickadees, doves, juncos, sparrows and I’ve counted 8 pairs of cardinals this year in my yard. That’s a record for my little yard!
Anyone that is not having trouble keeping your feeders full, check your seed. If birds are skipping you feeder in these chilly temperatures than the food is probably stale. When every calorie counts, birds can’t waste their energy on below standard food.
I encourage you to keep your seed and suet feeders filled as the cold weather persists. If you don’t like to go out and fill the feeder every day, try the seed cylinder feeders. A solid seed cylinder can last weeks and feed a wide variety of birds.
- Product Highlight: Solid Seed Cylinders http://goo.gl/HbISQR
- What to feed birds in the winter http://bit.ly/tfT7Ca
- Where Do Birds Go At Night? http://bit.ly/uoQOBw
- Help Birds Beat Their Winter Woes http://goo.gl/ZlDTw
- Best food for birds in the winter http://goo.gl/5OBx6r