At feeders they eat sunflower seeds, peanuts, suet, peanut butter, and mealworms. You will also see them occasionally on the goldfinch feeders eating Nyjer Thistle.
Mid-Michigan's chickadees are non-migratory and will be around all winter. New fall and winter flocks can join bands of nuthatches and woodpeckers for safety. Flocks can consist of 2 to 18 birds. Normal suburban flocks range from 6 to 10 birds over a territory of 20 to 50 acres.
- Bird Guilds: How different birds band together to survive http://goo.gl/d0VzDD
- A window feeder is the best way to entertain indoor cats http://bit.ly/xQVMaa
- Why don't chickadees stay to eat at the feeder? http://bit.ly/AkKThH
- After chickadee babies have fledged http://bit.ly/yAYbP4
- Fun Facts About Chickadees http://bit.ly/zIDkCi
- Bird of the Week: Black-capped Chickadee http://bit.ly/A1YFQ4