It is still pretty cold up here and there aren't many blooms or bugs yet. When the winds are blowing in the right direction and warmer weather comes, the orioles will know when to migrate.
Females are always behind the males. They aren't in as big a rush to stake out breeding territories like the males.
It takes 2 or 3 weeks for an oriole to prepare for migration. On average, an oriole probably travels about 150 miles each night, flying at about 20 miles per hour. If the weather is good, and they do not stop for long and it can take up to 3 weeks to complete their migration, depending on where it started from and where they are going in the spring.
You have answered my questions and eased my worry about these beautiful birds! Thanks again.
- What's the Best Way to Attract Orioles http://bit.ly/IGsyWp
- Fun Facts about Orioles http://bit.ly/IGsJB4
- Where are the orioles? http://bit.ly/IGuqOJ
- Where do orioles winter? http://bit.ly/GAeWv5
- Close-up of Baltimore Oriole http://bit.ly/GAf6T7
- Favorite Oriole feeders http://t.co/OjG4Lz4