|A lot of good birds are attracted to nuts!|
At my feeder their first choice would be seed cylinders packed with pecans or peanuts in the shell. These are both foods with high protein and high fat to provide your birds with the critical nutrition they need to survive bad weather.
To prepare for winter weather, jays will collect nuts with their shells still on and cache or hide them up to 2.5 miles from their original source and retrieve them when needed.
The peanut wreaths and tray feeders serve the whole peanuts. It is best to fill them when you’re there to watch because a party of blue jays can empty a feeder in less than an hour. But boy, during that hour it’s like watching a blue tornado.
The blue jays usually send out scouts to alert the band when food is available. One benefit of all that noisy calling is that it alerts other birds too, that there is food in the area.
- Product Highlight: Solid Seed Cylinders http://goo.gl/HbISQR
- Why do Birds Scatter Seeds from Feeders? http://bit.ly/w4vRPP
- Blue Jays aren't blue http://bit.ly/roVPVX
- What Feeder Do You Recommend for Blue Jays? http://bit.ly/txd8ja
- Blue Jay Fun Facts http://goo.gl/wJgMmJ
- Do birds know winter is coming? http://goo.gl/EilIa6
- Why Blue Jays go bald in the fall http://goo.gl/gAX3x