I like to use the Wild Birds Unlimited No-Mess blend year-round. At the East Lansing Wild Birds Unlimited store, customers’ and birds’ preference by far is WBU No-Mess Blend.
The National Wildlife Federation did a 2005–2008 study on which foods attract the most birds and keep them the healthiest. They found:
Besides the No-mess we have several other blends that are regionally formulated to attract the birds that live in our area. Wild Birds Unlimited does not include cheap filler grains in any of our blends.
The study emphasizes that for birds, eating is not only about nutrition but about consuming a lot of food very quickly while avoiding predators. This makes the easy to eat, already shelled No-mess blend, very attractive to the birds.
No shells on the seeds makes the No-mess blend attractive to me too, since there's no debris or weeds on the ground to clean up. Pound for pound, this blend offers the best value because you do not pay for the shells and the birds eat everything and get a sustaining meal.
- Common winter birds in Michigan and their food preference: http://bit.ly/yp9YQA
- How to choose the best suet cake http://bit.ly/xATYPQ
- How to have more colorful birds at your feeder http://bit.ly/qizlNh
- How to winterize your bird feeding station http://bit.ly/xucuF8
- Why do Birds Scatter Seeds from Feeders? http://bit.ly/vZ6gzM
- Choosing a seed blend to feed wild birds http://goo.gl/5FpPr7