If don’t have freezer space, Wild Birds Unlimited - East Lansing has galvanized steel containers with locking lids to keep out water and unwanted guests. If the container is kept outside in the winter it will keep out moisture from the air and also keep out the drying sunlight. I always leave the seed in their original bags so you are never dumping old seed on top of new.
If you keep your seed in the house at room temperature, it is best if you use it up within a month.
It is never good to store seed for too long. Birds know the difference between fresh seed and older, stale or moldy seed. In a world where every meal counts, fresh seed is sought after for its higher oil content which makes it much more nutritious for the birds.
These few steps when storing bird seed and suet will extend the shelf life of the food and also attract more birds!
- What is No-Mess Bird Seed?: http://bit.ly/pl516I
- What birds like peanuts?: http://bit.ly/qKbHT0
- Seed Storage Cans and WBU Seed Scoops: http://bit.ly/q6th9R
- Do I need to clean my bird feeder?: http://bit.ly/nYKz40
- The best bird feeders at Wild Birds Unlimited: http://bit.ly/pv36W6