|Photo by vladeb|
Along with nectar some studies have shown that while the hummingbirds are overwintering in the tropics, they eat more insect matter to bulk up. Before migrating back up north to nest, ruby-throated hummingbirds often double in weight, allowing a typical hummingbird to fly nearly 600 miles without having to stop for food!
Their spring breeding habitat is throughout most of eastern North America and the Canadian forest edges, orchards, and gardens. We can expect the the first males to come back to Michigan in mid to late April.
- When to take hummingbird feeders down and many other FAQ http://goo.gl/KKI3CJ
- What is the nectar recipe for hummingbirds? http://goo.gl/MK3AU
- Fun Facts about Ruby-throated Hummingbirds http://goo.gl/jcjcr
- The Best Hummingbird Feeders http://bit.ly/L4yY3i
- Why the color on a hummingbirds’ throat flashes http://bit.ly/JZ31qX
- When did people start to feed hummingbirds?: http://bit.ly/o8Y8HR