preening. The feathers covering the body give the bird a water resistant, aerodynamic shape for efficient flight. And properly fluffed up feathers also trap body heat close to the skin.
So when temperatures drop think about adding a heater to your bird bath
or switch to an all-in-one heated bird bath to provide an open water
Heated bird baths are not like a hot tube. The Wild Birds Unlimited
heated baths have a built-in, fully grounded heater that is
thermostatically controlled to conserve energy. As soon as temperatures
reach freezing the bath will turn on to heat the water just enough to
thaw ice. You can mount it easily to deck rails or place it in a stand sold separately.
Water sources in winter are an easy way to attract a variety of birds
including the American Robin, Eastern Bluebird and other birds that
don’t usually visit feeders.
- Are there heated birdbaths that are solar? http://bit.ly/tnTrK4
- Last Minute Gifts for Birdwatchers http://bit.ly/tXwHJ8
- How to Prepare Your Yard for Winter Birdwatching http://bit.ly/uduvLm
- Attracting Bluebirds in the Winter http://bit.ly/sw0H6P
- Most common winter birds in Michigan http://bit.ly/vSkLTn